Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Tired of waiting, techies create their own MMTS in the city

With a dexterous mix of autos, buses and trains, they succeeded in cutting travel time to office

Trust the Bangalore techies to innovate. Some of them are not waiting for the government to launch multi-modular transport service (MMTS) in the city. They have informally started their own version of MMTS, and it is working.

For the uninitiated, MMTS is a mix of transport services for better travelling in the city. Hyderabad, considered as Bangalore’s rival city, introduced it 10 years ago.

This is how Manmohan K, a techie working in Mahadevapura, is making MMTS work for him. “From my home in Rajajinagar, I take a bus or auto to Majestic. That hardly takes 20 minutes. From Majestic, I take the Bangalore-Arakkonam passenger train at 9.20 am and reach K R Puram Railway Station at 9.50 am.

“The ticket costs 2. Then, I take a bus to my office near Mahadevapura Ring Road. My journey time is one hour, compared to two hours by bus or one-and-a-half hours by cab. The cost is just 60.”

Anil Joseph, a techie who works in ITPB, takes the same train from Majestic to Whitefield to reach his office. “I save 60 to 90 minutes of travel time by using different modes of transport.” Also, the ticket from Majestic to Whitefield costs him just 4.

To avoid queues at railway stations, the duo buy monthly passes.

While techies working at ITPB use Chennai-line trains, those heading towards Electronics City use Hosur-bound trains.

Girish Babu says, “I use the Bangalore City-Salem passenger train, which leaves Majestic at 7.15 am and reaches Heelalige at 8.04 am, all for 5 ticket. From the station, I take an auto or bus to head to Electronics City. My commute is really peaceful.”

He wishes there were more trains that techies like him could avail of, in the evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment